Administrative Procedure 241 - Healthy School Communities Update

Administrative Procedure 241 - Healthy School Communities Update
Posted on 11/22/2018
Administrative Procedure 241 - Healthy School Communities Update

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

High Prairie, Alberta – At their regularly scheduled meeting on Wednesday, November 21st, the HPSD Board of Trustees discussed the results from the feedback on Administrative Procedure 241 - Healthy School Communities. AP 241 was revised this summer and was brought to the board table for discussion in August.

Current health statistics show a decline in overall physical health in our region. Change is systemic and is brought about by education. As a school division, we wanted to bring about that systemic change through the education of our school community. We wanted to ensure when we provided food to our students that it was healthy.

The AP, which is not approved by trustees but rather was brought forward as an information item, was to be reviewed with the incoming school councils in the coming months. After discussion with staff, students, parents, and school councils, it was decided in September to add this to the Council of School Councils (COSC) meeting in October for further discussion.

At the COSC meeting, questions evolved from conversations between representatives from the respective school councils. It was therefore decided to survey the school communities on the common questions that arose from the discussion. Additionally, input was gathered from schools, parent letters, student leadership, and school councils.

Based on the input from those sources, the HPSD Board of Trustees has made a recommendation to administration to make the following changes:

  • 80% of the foods available for regular consumption will be from the Choose Most Often Category. The remaining 20% of the foods available for regular consumption will be from the Choose Sometimes Category. Individual portion sizes and the number of servings provided should be consistent with Canada’s Food Guide.
  • Special Events - Schools may choose up to four (4) events per year, where selection of foods from the Choose Least Often Category is permitted.
  • All fundraisers and activities affiliated with the school involving food/beverages must meet the characteristics of the Choose Most Often (80%) and Choose Sometimes (20%) categories. Up to two fundraisers in each school year may include an item from the Choose Least Often category. A fundraiser undertaken by collective schools, or on behalf of collective schools within one community, that includes food and beverages from the Choose Least Often category will be applied against each school’s Choose Least Often option for the year. Principals shall document special events and fundraisers.

The changes are to take effect on December 1st, 2018. As with both previous versions of the AP, the Healthy Eating section is focused on schools ensuring the foods they provide to students are nutritious and affordable. Trustees also want to be very clear that no one in the school will police students’ lunches. Both the Trustees and HPSD would like to thank the school communities for their valuable input on this topic.

END

click here for printable pdf and survey results

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.